Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Sportsheets Noir Blindfold

Another product review for a toy in the light-BDSM category from Sportsheets: the Noir blindfold.

I requested this product because I currently own a blindfold in a color that was once described to me as "pussy pink". In other words, it's a little girly, and I feel weird using it or having it used on me in a power-oriented setting. So I decided to check out this toy from Sportsheets, figuring if nothing else, I'd now have a blindfold in the more serious "faux-leather black".



The packaging is nothing special. The blindfold is just attached to a piece of cardboard that says "Sportsheets - Noir - Cruelty-Free" on it. I discarded it.

The blindfold is pretty thin and flimsy-looking. It's stronger than, say, a felt blindfold, and it's lined, but it's not padded in any way. The outward-facing side of the blindfold is made of fake black leather and the inside is lined in a soft, velvety plush. Like I said, the color and materials make the blindfold look a little more serious than the one I currently own, but the flat, thin area of the blindfold means it still doesn't quite command POWER, in my opinion.

The edges of the blindfold are unfinished and slightly rough, but certainly not enough to accidentally cause pain or damage.

Measurements
  • Elastic band is 1 inch wide and measures 12 inches long, unstretched
  • Blindfold area itself measures 8.75 inches across and 3.5 inches high at the widest eye parts




I tested this blindfold out. It is quite comfortable to wear, I'll say that. I love the plush lining, which doesn't get as sweaty during sex as a leather-lined blindfold might. The flatness of the blindfold also meant there wasn't anything cutting into me. I felt like I could wear it for awhile without getting uncomfortable, and I didn't feel anxious to take it off by the end of our session.

However. And this is a big however. It did NOT block out my sight entirely. I couldn't see anything important, but there was definitely light leaking through the bottom part of the blindfold, underneath my nose. I tried adjusting it myself, and there was no way to keep that light out. It was distracting.

This may be because I have a small nose, but here is where the flatness of the blindfold is a weakness. It doesn't mold to your individual face shape. It has a fairly rigid shape, and if your face doesn't quite fit that, well then that's just a shame. I wouldn't use this blindfold on myself again for this reason. Comfortable or not, it just didn't do its job, which is to block out all light and sight.

I'll keep it around to use on other people (with bigger noses, perhaps?). And maybe I'd use it onmyself in a pinch. But for now, I'm glad that my main partner owns a nice padded leather blindfold that blocks out all sight for me (something along the lines of, although not exactly, this blindfold).

To keep things in perspective though, the Noir blindfold costs 10 bucks. For 10 bucks, it really is a good deal. It's nice-looking, lined and comfortable to wear. I just got unlucky with the fit. So I would recommend buying it if you're confident this is going to fit, or if you don't mind having a little light leaking in through the bottom.

For care and maintenance, the faux-leather side can be cleaned with a damp cloth. The blindfold seems like it could get "stuck" in a shape after a bit (after several uses, it's started to take on a curved shape), so if that bothers you, you could try storing it flat to even it back out, but it might be a good thing that it starts to shape to your face after use.


product picture
Blindfold by Sportsheets
Material: Faux-Leather
This product was provided free of charge to the reviewer.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home